As a family dentist, it’s my job to create healthy smiles for all of my patients, from toddlers to great grandparents. My team and I look forward to seeing you in my Bedford, Massachusetts, dental office every 6 months, but there are things you should be doing in between appointments to keep your smile in tip-top shape.
- Brush regularly. Brushing is the cornerstone of dental hygiene. It removes food particles that bacteria feed on, cleans your teeth, and freshens your breath. Brushing with fluoride toothpaste will help to strengthen your teeth and maintain your enamel.
- Floss daily. Flossing is just as important as brushing, but most people neglect this crucial at-home dental hygiene habit. Flossing removes the bacteria in between your teeth that your toothbrush can’t reach. Flossing twice a day is ideal, but floss before you go to bed if you can only do it once a day.
- Visit the dentist. Having dental checkups and cleanings every 6 months is the best thing you can do for your oral health. In addition to keeping your teeth and gums clean, your dentist can spot early signs of serious health problems, such as gum disease, cavities, and oral cancer.
- Eat a healthy diet. “You are what you eat” applies to everything, even your teeth and gums. Be sure to consume plenty of dairy and calcium-rich foods to keep your bones strong (yes, your teeth are bones). Vitamin C is also good for your bones, teeth, and gums.
- Don’t smoke or use smokeless tobacco. Smokers and tobacco users are 4 times more likely than non-smokers to have gum disease. The risk of oral cancer is also greatly increased for tobacco users.
- Whiten your teeth. Don’t be afraid to whiten your teeth. With today’s technology, teeth whitening is a very safe procedure that can instantly make you look years younger and much healthier.
- Consider cosmetic procedures. Just like teeth whitening, other cosmetic dental procedures can give you the smile of your dreams. Porcelain veneers, cosmetic bonding, and inlays and onlays can give you a total smile makeover or just correct a minor flaw or two. The choice is yours.
I’m Dr. Robert Kennedy of Kennedy Family and Cosmetic Dentistry and I want to help you create a foundation for lifelong dental health and beautiful smiles. Call my office at (781) 275-0200 for more information or to schedule dental exams for you and your family.